Hiring a plumber or any trades-person is a very important decision. Not only are you looking for someone to do the job right, you are also looking for someone who will treat you and your home with respect and someone who has a fair pricing system.
Here are 5 things you should look for when hiring a plumber:
– Can they help you with your problem? Some companies specialize in certain things, for example one company may be more well known for drain cleaning and one may be a company that does renovations and home building. At Boundary Bay Mechanical our specialties are residential renovations, repairs and custom home building.
– Where are they located? You want to choose a company close to home for two reasons. The first reason is that a company that is local to you will be more familiar with the type of homes and the challenges they present in their service area. The second reason is that most companies charge for travel time or some sort of travel charge. If they claim they don’t, they are most likely hiding it in their price somewhere. You wouldn’t want to hire a plumber from North Vancouver to work on your home in White Rock. You will be paying for that hour and a half trip. We are based out of Ladner and our service area includes Tsawwassen, White Rock and South Surrey.
– Are they licensed? Any plumber working on your home should have a Red Seal Certification or be supervised by someone with one. It’s not rude to ask, any plumber who has completed their apprenticeship should be proud to show their ticket since the Canadian plumber certification is one of the most respected in the world and one of the most challenging to obtain. At Boundary Bay Mechanical all our service technicians and foremen have a valid Red Seal ticket and Class B gas fitting ticket. We also arrange additional training for our staff so they are always improving their craft.
– Reputation. Do they have a good reputation in the community and online? We get most of our business off referrals and aim to make all of our clients into life long customers. We also have a high rating on our Google Business listing.
– Pricing. Ask about their pricing system, some companies charge time and material but a lot of companies are moving towards strictly flat rate pricing. Sometimes a plumber’s hourly rate may sound high but the cost of doing business in the plumbing trade is more expensive than most people think and like all things, you get what you pay for. At Boundary Bay Mechanical we let the customer chose which one they prefer. Flat rate pricing also known as a quoted job is a great way to avoid surprises, and there are only a few services we will not do a flat rate job on.
I hoped the above article will be help you when deciding who to come help you with your plumbing and heating needs. If you have any questions or want to request a quote feel free to contact us any time.